Immanuel Lutheran Church

History of Immanuel Lutheran Church

 

1874

The German Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church of Wentzville was organized November 7th. The Rev. Fredreich W.G. Matuschka of New Melle served the congregation.

 

1880

The Rev. Theodore Masse was installed as the first resident pastor.

Opened a Christian Day School.

 

1885

The Rev. P.E. Beil was installed as pastor and teacher.

 

1889

Immanuel Lutheran Church became a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

 

1890

Rev. A. Schupmann was installed as pastor and teacher.

 

1895

Rev. H.J. Mueller was installed as pastor and teacher.

 

1899

A new church building was dedicated on November 12th.

 

1900

A new parsonage and the first school building were dedicated.

 

1911

The Ladies Aid Society was organized October 20th.

 

1915

Rev. H.J. Mueller resigned due to ill health.

Rev. H.D. Mensing was installed as pastor and teacher.

 

1917

The second school building was dedicated August 12th.

 

1918

The first English service was conducted in February.

First Adult Bible Class was organized December 10th.

 

1919

A new pipe organ was dedicated.

 

1920

The Rev. A.E. Miessler was installed as pastor and teacher on October 20th.

 

1921

Electricity was installed in the church, school and parsonage in April. An electric blower was installed on the pipe organ.

Miss Selma Berkemeier became the first full time school teacher.

 

1922

The Walther League, church youth group, was organized February 22nd.

 

1931

The Sunday School was organized February 22nd.

 

1932

The first “Immanuel Bulletin” was printed.

 

1939

The newly erected “dining hall building“ was used the first time January 15th.

 

1947

The first commissioned teacher was installed, Mr. Herman Ansorge.

 

1952

On May 4th, two morning services were inaugurated at 8:00am and 10:30am.

 

1955

Kindergarten was started with Mrs. Selma Mueller as the first teacher.

 

1956

The classes in school were divided into two rooms, lower room grades 1-4 taught by Mrs. Delores Wirgau, the upper room grades 5-8 taught by Mr. Otto Wirgau.

 

1957

Rev. A. Miessler preached his farewell service on January 13th, after 36 years at Immanuel.

The Rev. William Gerike was installed on February 3rd.

 

1959

The hot lunch program was started in school with Mrs. Betty Doyle as first cook.

 

1963

The Rev. Jakob Heckert was installed on July 21st. He continued to serve the congregation until 1970.

 

1971

Rev. Francis Lieb was installed as pastor on July 18th, and served the congregation for three years.

 

1976

The Rev. Mark Mueller was installed as pastor on June 20th. He guided the congregation until 1979.

 

1982

The Rev. Lloyd Hackbarth was installed on August 29th as pastor.

 

1986

The annex to the church was dedicated.

 

1988

Rev. Warren Ruland was ordained and installed on September 11th as assistant pastor and principal.

 

1990

The Christian Activity Center (CAC) was dedicated in August.

 

1992

Mr. Duane Hingst, Executive Secretary, Missouri District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, presented a certificate of approval from the National Lutheran Schools Accreditation to Immanuel Lutheran School.

 

1994

Mr. Roy Bohning was installed as the first full-time principal on August 28th.

 

1995

The Day Care Center was opened in August.

 

1996

The Rev. Dwain Sliger was installed as associate pastor on December 1st.

 

1997

With major repair & the addition of new ranks of pipes, the pipe organ was rededicated on September 7th.

 

1998

The first Saturday evening service was held January 3rd. This gave us three services each weekend.

 

1999

The formation of our Education Wing Task Force in order to expand our Day School.

 

2000

The beginning of school construction and the addition of the Worship Task Force.

 

2001

Pastor Sliger installed as senior pastor after many faithful years of service by Pastor Hackbarth. Added 9:30am service on Sunday.

Lloyd Hackbarth served as interim principal for Immanuel Lutheran School.

 

2002

The founding of a Ministry Leadership Team to establish our Mission, Vision and Values which would guide our Ministry.

Rebecca Hoskins hired as full-time principal. Preschool enlarged from one classroom to three. First cheerleading program instituted. First Student Council instituted.

 

2003

Called Christa Stec, Lay Minister, to serve as Director of Music Ministry and expand our current worship. Also, began the P&BC for the expansion program. We partnered with DCA for the design phase of our new sanctuary.

Immanuel Lutheran Church joined the Lutheran High School of St. Charles County Association. First all-day Kindergarten began. Renovations to school playground were completed.

“Garden of Grace” dedicated (school/church inner courtyard).

 

2004

LIFEnite was initiated.

Added Rev. Jason Auringer to assist Pastor Sliger. Implemented Pastor Hackbarth to begin our Senior Ministry. In keeping with our Mission and Ministry, added a part-time Director of Christian Education and Director of Christian Outreach.

 

2005

Moved services to CAC to expand our worship ministry.

Seventeen acres donated for new sanctuary on Highway N.

Rev. Auringer installed as associate pastor.

Saturday evening service resumed July 16th in Immanuel Lutheran Heritage Church.

 

2006

Bryan Blackford called to replace retiring administrator

 

2007

Groundbreaking for new worship facility on Highway N.

Dan Stec installed as Director of Next Generation Ministries (Family Ministries).

 

2008

Actual construction begins on new worship facility.

Pastor Auringer installed as Senior Pastor.

Implementation of 10 yr strategic plan begins, focusing on Worship, Day-school, & Families.

Allison Dolak installed as school administrator.

Rev. Mark Sell added as pastoral assistant.

A new capital campaign, “Building: Character... Community... Commitment” launches.

 

2009

June 28th First worship service in new facility located on 17 acres on Hwy N; the new location includes over 50,000 square feet of classrooms and a 600 seat sanctuary.

Dedication Service on August 30 with Rev. Dr. Reed Lessing as guest preacher; nearly 500 attend service filled with music and praise; outdoor carnival attracted hundreds who enjoyed food, music, and games.

 

2010

Pearce campus is sold in March with the school moving to Hwy N location in June.

 

2011

Jill Kirk, daughter of longtime pastor, Rev. Lloyd Hackbarth, begins serving as Music Director in January.

June brings construction on the Multi-Purpose Building.

Pastor Liefer is installed as Associate Pastor on June 26.

November kickoff of “Uplifting”, a new capital campaign. Funds received go toward $35,000/month mortgage.

 

2012

The Multi-Purpose Building completes construction. The completed building features a high-school-sized gymnasium, full kitchen, and youth room/cafeteria.

Voters adopt a new constitution, restructuring Immanuel to operate under a Policy-Based Governance.

 

2014

Keith Pelster is hired as Business Manager.

Kirk Neugebauer is installed as Immanuel’s first-ever vicar.

Immanuel celebrates is 140th Anniversary with a community festival in the Multi-Purpose Building. The heritage bell is displayed and a time capsule is opened.